tony

Stock Market Soared in 2019,But Half Of Millennials Missed Out

In the last two years, an average of 49% of millennials (ages 23 to 38) held stock directly or through mutual funds, exchange-traded funds or retirement plans such as 401(k)s at any given time, according to polling data that Gallup provided at The Times’ request.That’s down sharply from an average 61% of Americans in the same age range in the 2001-2008 period, before markets were hammered by the financial crisis of 2008-09, an event that’s still one reason many millennials steer clear of equities, analysts said.

http://www.northwestgeorgianews.com/associated_press/business/stocks-soared-this-year-half-of-millennials-missed-out/article_f7cab953-bcbb-51e4-9abb-b35f0c07b24e.html

either lack the means to knock on Wall Street’s door or are wary of doing so...markets were hammered by the financial crisis of 2008-09, an event that’s still one reason many millennials steer clear of equities...Bankrate.com did a survey this summer asking millennials what they believed was the best investment for the next decade. The top response was real estate, at 36%, while cash and savings accounts were 18% and the stock market was 16%.

An absolute collective failure of financial education/literacy.

Over the last two years, 55% on average of the adult population owned stocks directly or indirectly, down from 62% before the crisis

If you believe in that silly anecdote about selling stocks when your shoe-shiner begins to talk about stock tips, then I guess you don't need to worry yet?

11 hours ago, JT1906 said:

Hi Tony, can you explain what equities are? I hope this isn’t a dumb question.  

"Equities" is a fancy way of referring to stocks.

Similarly, "securities" is a fancy way of referring to any financial holding (stocks, bonds, etc.).

...every subculture seemingly has to invent their own terminology if for no other purpose than to keep people from joining the club. Don't worry about it.

26 minutes ago, EdLaFave said:

Hi Tony, can you explain what equities are? I hope this isn’t a dumb question.  

JT

No question is ever a dumb question. What is "dumb" is not seeking  those answers because you stay ignorant otherwise. All of us are ignorant about things until we make the effort to learn.  Ed answered your question .  Investopedia.com is a great place to go for in depth answers but we don't mind answering them  here either.  

I'm glad to see you are reading the posted articles. Besides following our sometimes animated  and sometimes complex discussions on this forum, articles can be useful to add to your knowledge base quickly. Problem is its hard to find well written informative articles these days. I endorse Investopedia and maybe even bank rate.com. as a good place to look for info. This website also has good  basic info beyond this discussion board so I would explore that too if your questions are 403b, IRA,or 457b specific.  The good news about this discussion board is the folks who frequent here are pretty darn smart and  you can trust what they may post.

Best,

Tony