sschullo

Q1 YTD Report

It is obvious that end of February and all of March went NUTS!

So, to nobody's surprise, the financial press reported that this past quarter was the worse since 2008. I remember 2008 well. 

What is different is how fast the markets went down from an all-time high on February 12th. 

My 30% stock / 70% bonds returned a negative 7.0%. This negative return is right in tune with my asset allocation when stocks went down 23% and bonds went up about 3.0%. 

Here are the particulars. Nothing new except that I added a tax-except from CA and the Feds muni fund. 

Q1_2020_Returns.JPG

QPie_Chart.JPG

Q1_2020_Asset_Allocation.JPG

Q1_Costs.JPG

Anyone track their net worth? That can be a much smoother looking graph to follow. YTD our investments are down -17.8%, but our net worth is only down -4.8%.

2 hours ago, ScottO said:

Anyone track their net worth? That can be a much smoother looking graph to follow. YTD our investments are down -17.8%, but our net worth is only down -4.8%.

I am only calculating investments as shown in the tables above. 

If I am missing something please explain.

My 75/25 (more or less) portfolio was down 19% at end of quarter.  Ouch, but I'm staying the course and rebalancing.

Update.

Since Q1 ended, my portfolio has recovered and is only down -3.6% YTD at the close of the markets last Friday, April 17. FYI, my portfolio recovered because the stock and bond markets recovered. Will it continue? NOBODY knows that answer. If it continues, my portfolio will continue to grow also, and if it goes back down, my portfolio goes down too. Quite simple. 

On the contrary, a friend did not know why her portfolio went down last year in 2019 and did not grow much in the last 3 or 4 years! Her portfolio was managed by an incompetent investment management firm. That's hideous, not knowing why her portfolio has not grown when the broad markets were setting records! Wow! She eventually got out, transferring her money to Vanguard, she was so angry! 

That's why we preach to do this yourself. 

Update.

The portfolio is now down about 2.0% YTD at the closing of markets last Friday, May 22. From the highs of my portfolio in the middle of February to the lows of March, my portfolio was down about 12%. 

My thoughts. For most people market crashes are memorable but what's not so memorable is watching the markets recover. Buy and hold and long-term investors are able to just observe this fascinating stock and bond world. Passive investors participate by going along with the ride with all that is going on with thousands of corporations around the world with millions of hard-working employees, all of that energy is at our fingertips. Wow! 

Sorry but I get a little emotional about this! But this has little to do with me, its how my portfolio was constructed to go along with the flow, up over the last 11 years, down for a while and now up. Fascinating!