DrDaddy

403(b)

Guest Sierra
......is everyone STILL unwilling to admit there's a place for active management?

===========================================

Scotty is but one poster you specifically used the word "everyone"

Actually, that was me, not TR, that used the word "everyone." I take it, Joel, that you are a proponent of actively managed mutual funds in certain circumstances? Would you care to tell us when you feel actively managed funds are suitable?

If you look over this thread you will see that Steve endorsed actively managed funds, with some qualification, so you were erroneous in your use of of the word "everyone". If I wished to put my two cents into that dog fight I would have days ago.

......is everyone STILL unwilling to admit there's a place for active management?

===========================================

Scotty is but one poster you specifically used the word "everyone"

Actually, that was me, not TR, that used the word "everyone." I take it, Joel, that you are a proponent of actively managed mutual funds in certain circumstances? Would you care to tell us when you feel actively managed funds are suitable?

If you look over this thread you will see that Steve endorsed actively managed funds, with some qualification, so you were erroneous in your use of of the word "everyone". If I wished to put my two cents into that dog fight I would have days ago.

Double-check the context of that remark. The implication is that "not everyone believes there's a place for active managment," NOT that "everyone believes there's no place for active management."

If you're not going to put your two cents in, that's fine. But don't make your two-cent contribution an extended discussion of the use of the word "everyone" that takes us off-topic yet again.

Guest Sierra

TR: As a field provider are you required to get the approval of your principals prior to posting on a website opened to the public at large? I'm sure you do not want to jeopardize your securities license.

Guest TR1982

I can post on any public website as long as I do not act in any capacity for my firm, implied or not. Therefore, I would not be able to respond to posts that ask for specific recommendations or individuals who are asking legal questions (that are personal in nature) or contribution limit questions that are personal in nature. I obviously know the answer to a lot of these inquiries, but I prefer to stay away from them since it could be misconstrued. In addition, I will have to remain anonymous, both personally and by firm, to avoid any conflicts. It is also possible that a consultant could view these posts and I would not want them to know my identity or firm since it could damage our ability to compete in a bid situation.

I'm sorry about those limitations but, unfortunately, that's the way it has to be.

Guest Sierra

Does your firm require each and every post to be pre approved prior to your posting? Is anyone at your firm monitoring your posts on an on-going basis to assure you are following its guidelines?

Does your firm require each and every post to be pre approved prior to your posting? Is anyone at your firm monitoring your posts on an on-going basis to assure you are following its guidelines?

TR: "It is also possible that a consultant could view these posts and I would not want them to know my identity or firm since it could damage our ability to compete in a bid situation."

Doesn't that answer the question?

Guest TR1982

No. I am not acting in a capacity where I represent the firm and I am not using company email. I am still a US citizen and have the right to speak freely about any issue I chose. I just can't do it in a capacity that represents the firm or addresses specific and personal requests by individuals that could be construed as giving advice.

i think you both need to get a room and hash this stuff out....or propose already. you both sound like a married couple:<)

Are you talking about TR and Joel? Where does that leave me? I feel so...used.

I just came across this site and I appreciate your combined experience and expertise on 403b plans. I'm conducting research on the value of our current TDA 403b plan with AXA and have come to understand that there are probably better options out there for us. I work for a non-profit org. and I want to look into other options to our 403b. Seems like we can opt for a 401k plan or retain our 403b, but with a lower-cost provider. There are my questions to the group:

1. explain the pros vs. cons of 403b

2. What challenges should I expect in changing from a 403b plan to a 401k?

3. TIAA-CREF, Vangard and Fidelity were offered as lower-cost 403b alternative providers, which providers should I consider for a 401k?

4. Anything else to keep in mind as I talk to different providers and evaluate our options?

Thanks