ayla808

Hawaii DOE provider choices

Hi everyone,

These are the providers I have to choose from: https://www.nbsbenefits.com/HawaiiDOE/providers.php  I believe I can also choose the Island Savings Plan from Prudential, although it's not on this list.  From what I've read, I'm thinking Aspire might be my best choice but I would love any advice you can give.  I also have an account with Valic from my previous job, so I will have to do a direct transfer.  Thanks in advance for your help!

It looks like you could go to Aspire and self direct the account without an Advisor and choose A Vanguard or Fidelity index  fund or target fund portfolio.Also since you have Security Benefit, you have access to NEA Direct Invest which has a few very low cost options . You go to the Security Benefit webpage and fill out and send in the appropriate forms without a financial salesperson's help.

Either option would work for you with Direct Invest being a little lower cost option than Aspire but with more limited options than Aspire but good enough options nevertheless. Direct Invest has been more of a challenge to get enrolled in in some school districts  and the process I hear can be painfully slow for some.

If you go into the 403b wise forum archives , much as been written both about Aspire and NEA Direct Invest.

You can build a fully diversified portfolio with rock bottom costs via Security Benefit’s NEA DirectInvest, which I documented here.

I’m not sure if you have access to a 457b, but that’s worth your time to look into if you’re maxing out the 403b.