Dan Otter

Time To Stop Blaming Agents?

Guest TR1982

You know,

There are several things you haven't stopped to consider:

1) In the private sector there is no "right" to a 401k.

2) In the private sector there is no "right" to a cheap 401k.

3) You know what most private sector employers would say if you wanted a 401k with your own personal investment choices and they didn't want to provide it? "Have you considered working somewhere else?"

3) You know what most private sector employers would say if you wanted a 401k with your own personal investment choices and they didn't want to provide it? "Have you considered working somewhere else?"

For the record, TR, that's precisely the response you'd get in the private sector if you didn't like the one 401(k) provider that your employer had chosen for you. The beauty of the 403(b) is that there is usually a choice of providers. Though I understand the frustration of those who work in districts where choice is limited, this is really no different from private-sector employees with a 401(k) plan, is it?

Guest TR1982

You got it. My employer has a 401k. I can participate if I want. They don't ask for my input and they change it whenever they want. It's been changed 5 or 6 times in the last 10 years.

Guest Sierra
Off the point.

TR: Is your sole 401(k) vendor represented by commission reps or is this question also off the point as well? FT can choose from no-loads to high cost VA. Please let us know if you have such a wide lattitude of choice for your 401(k).