sschullo

2020 YTD Return

bk10s,

There was one important factor I left out. I don't need to take the risk to grow my portfolio as somebody who is working or retiring at a younger age than normal retirement. At my age, I have won the game. I have "enough". I have enough fixed income and enough investments. My portfolio is about the preservation stage and if I am lucky enough it might grow enough to keep pace with inflation and pay the income taxes. If not, I will still have enough to last the rest of my days. I have two healthcare plans, long term insurance and best of all I am extremely fortunate that I can manage my money without an expensive adviser and save a ton of money.  

Here is a discussion on bogleheads about the "ability, willingness and need to take risk." https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=333831&newpost=5684634 

Below is a table I created and posted on this forum previously.  It shows who I actually pay (in green) compared to the cost of somebody else managing my portfolio. The difference is staggering! 

1908371498_CostsComparisonto.07ofmycost.thumb.png.8a81ad69c478a87c2cddb49f40d44916.png

2020.jpg.b1d4c44bb2bd87b0c5de61fea84dfd33.jpg

+18.9% YTD return in 2020 (403b)... I have trouble comprehending that number given what we've all been living through.

Roth IRA was up +22.9%(60/40 VTSAX/VTIAX), Taxable +30.8%(100 VTSAX), 457 +20.8% (10/90 VTSMX/Same as 403b)

We keep chucking in our contributions regularly each month regardless of what the market is doing.

On 12/26/2020 at 7:02 AM, sschullo said:

Below is a table I created and posted on this forum previously.  It shows who I actually pay (in green) compared to the cost of somebody else managing my portfolio. The difference is staggering! 

That projected cost table is wild! It's win or lose too... no matter what, an advisor would take that cut of your account - ouch!