M Pearson

Texas Teacher-Help with 403b choices

Hi! I am wanting to start contributing to a 403b through the school district I work at in Texas. They give a lot of options to choose from and I have no idea where to start. I am attaching the list of options if anyone has any insight for me!

1059782576_ScreenShot2020-11-12at1_45_00PM.png.7e76fd88fe2e44173157e34575f8a946.png

M Pearson, welcome to the forum. You are fortunate that Vanguard in on the list. It's an industry leader in low--cost mutual funds, and the first to sell low-cost index funds back in the 1970s. Vanguard does not sell annuity based 403b plans, as do many of the vendors in you list. You could choose one of their target retirement funds which includes stocks and bonds, both US and international. https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-funds/target-retirement/#/ 

Have you read the 403bwise investing information on the website? It's a great review of 403b basics. https://403bwise.org/education

Vanguard is your clear first choice on this list.  You are lucky to have that option. 

Most of the others are insurance companies offering inappropriate high-fee annuity products--stay far from them (if you encounter a salesperson, just say no).  Vanguard will not be sending a salesman, but they should be able to help you by phone.  I advise you to set up the 403b account and select the investments yourself.  (We can help you here, at no charge,)

As krow36 and whyme have said, not only is Vanguard your best option, but they're arguably the best option you could hope to have.

I documented everything you need to know about their plan here.

Too many choices on that list.That's a list full of losers  too except for a very few. I agree you've got it made with Vanguard. Ignore the others.