Scottyd

Urban Legend Or Truth?

I got started with my personal retirement planning and regular investing because of the load salesman who pitched the advantages of TSAs. Even though some posters are petulant as if trapped at this beginning level I think they sell themselves short. Rather than get stuck in a marriage that seemed so good at the time it behooves those of us who started that way to move on in our thinking and our behavior. While there is a certain entertainment value in the predictable verbal dances between us, load vs no-load arguers, there are real retirement dollars that can stay in the hands of teachers when we share what we have learned and add to our learning at this site.

I got started with my personal retirement planning and regular investing because of the load salesman who pitched the advantages of TSAs. Even though some posters are petulant as if trapped at this beginning level I think they sell themselves short. Rather than get stuck in a marriage that seemed so good at the time it behooves those of us who started that way to move on in our thinking and our behavior. While there is a certain entertainment value in the predictable verbal dances between us, load vs no-load arguers, there are real retirement dollars that can stay in the hands of teachers when we share what we have learned and add to our learning at this site.

Dan, this is a good point. I, too, got my start this way, and am sticking with this plan for now, but I don't look at it so much as a marriage as a relationship with a few escape clauses built in.

I think some of the posters here are wishing they had "pre-nups" in place, so they could undo their contractual obligations and have all their money free all at once. On one level, it makes perfect sense that "our" money shouldn't have strings attached. On the other hand, "we" signed contracts that spelled out the terms and conditions, and the insurance companies aren't necessarily evil for wanting to enforce those conditions.

Guest Sierra

Unlike you, Joel, I don't see fit to meddle in the affairs of others. If NYSUT and their staff has an arrangement that works for them, why should I get in the middle of it?

===============================================

You are pitiful! Is it not YOUR dues that pays 100 percent of the er's (NYSUT) contribution to the employees 401(k) accounts! You in essence are the EMPLOYER. Please get with the program

Unlike you, Joel, I don't see fit to meddle in the affairs of others. If NYSUT and their staff has an arrangement that works for them, why should I get in the middle of it?

=============================

You are pitiful! Is it not YOUR dues that pays 100 percent of the er's (NYSUT) contribution to the employees 401(k) accounts! You in essence are the EMPLOYER. Please get with the program

None of which addresses my question. If NYSUT staff members are happy with their arrangement, why should I rabble-rouse and tell them how unhappy they SHOULD be?

Sounds more like what you do, frankly.

Guest Sierra

On the one hand you are the STRONGEST ADVOCATE OF CHOICE FOR YOUR OWN SALARY REDUCTION PLAN BUT AS THE EMPLOYER YOU HAVE DENIED THAT CHOICE TO YOUR EMPLOYEES' 401(K) PLAN. YOUR CREDITABILITY (AS AN EMPLOYEE AND EMPLOYER) IS CLEARLY LACKING. Why don't you have one policy for both situations?

On the one hand you are the STRONGEST ADVOCATE OF CHOICE FOR YOUR OWN SALARY REDUCTION PLAN BUT AS THE EMPLOYER YOU HAVE DENIED THAT CHOICE TO YOUR EMPLOYEES' 401(K) PLAN. YOUR CREDITABILITY (AS AN EMPLOYEE AND EMPLOYER) IS CLEARLY LACKING. Why don't you have one policy for both situations?

Nice try, dude. I teach French. I'm not an employer. I haven't denied anybody a damned thing. Unless you really believe in that twisted little place in your mind that a few hundred NYSUT staff members really have 500,000 separate employers, each with the power to make such changes? Geez, Joel...try selling this somewhere else, OK?