Teach76

The best 403b of bad choices, do I rollover from AXA?

My wife and I teach in MA and are putting in some financial work for the future so that means we have decisions on 403b to make. We both currently have AXA and have noticed the fees are excessive. Are there any better choices on this list? We’re talking about 20k total so does it make sense to roll it over to another provider? At least 20 years from now before retirement.

Also, Roth or regular 403b?

Thank you!

133F3384-9BB4-4AB0-B6B0-68982F22A3B7.png

Teach76, welcome to the forum! I don't see any low-cost vendors on that list. The best vendor is probably Lincoln Investment's Solutions Premier. It adds 1.33% to Vanguard funds, plus $65/yr. Your district needs to add a vendor like Vanguard, Fidelity or Aspire! They only get added when employees ask for them. Are you aware of the MA state 457b plan, called MA SMART? If your district doesn't now offer it, you may be able to get the SMART people to help the district add it. 

Just adding to what krow said, you should figure out what 457b options you have available to you. Perhaps you'll have luck there.

Teach76, I hope you return and tell us more about your district. You need a low-cost 403b because you can’t do an exchange between a 403b and a 457b unless one is with a previous employer. How many years have you been with AXA? The surrender fee is waived after 12 years. Who is your TPA (third party administrator)?