Eternalvtw

Hospital 403b options. Do they all suck?

Good day! Someone on the personal finance subreddit suggested your forum for my question and while I have searched for similar issues I haven't seen all of the companies listed below yet.

I may leave this job soon but would like to get retirement started. They do not match any contributions.

Are any of these companies good choices?

Thank you very much for your expertise.

AIG Valic (888) 478-7020
American Funds (800) 421-0180
AXA Equitable (315) 488-2870
Franklin Templeton (800) 527-2020
ING (800) 238-6231
John Hancock (877) 543-3676
Lincoln Financial Group (800) 655-2323
North American Secuirty Life Insurance (614) 249-7111
Oppenheimer (800) 477-7270
Putnam Investments (800) 225-1581
The Hartford (888) 862-6668
Western Reserve Life (800) 851-9777

I don't see any low-cost 403b vendors on the list. They are either annuity sellers (always expensive) or high-cost mutual fund sellers (high expense ratios and front-end or back-end loads). You can look up the fees on many of the vendors in 403bcompare where any vendor selling to CA public school districts must disclose their fees:   https://www.403bcompare.com/Vendors/Browse

ING often goes by Voya. Oppenheimer is now Invesco. I would ask HR if they would consider adding a low-cost vendor that offers index funds, such as Vanguard, Fidelity or Aspire. Are you contributing 6k/yr to an IRA, the vendor of which you sign up with on your own?  

5 hours ago, krow36 said:

I don't see any low-cost 403b vendors on the list. They are either annuity sellers (always expensive) or high-cost mutual fund sellers (high expense ratios and front-end or back-end loads). You can look up the fees on many of the vendors in 403bcompare where any vendor selling to CA public school districts must disclose their fees:   https://www.403bcompare.com/Vendors/Browse

ING often goes by Voya. Oppenheimer is now Invesco. I would ask HR if they would consider adding a low-cost vendor that offers index funds, such as Vanguard, Fidelity or Aspire. Are you contributing 6k/yr to an IRA, the vendor of which you sign up with on your own?  

I am maxing out my Roth with vanguard