tony

I'm concerned this discussion board is heading to oblivion

Truth be told this board is in danger of being eliminated I fear. It's not being utilized enough anymore. No new posts (not much). Supposedly all the action has been taken over by the facebook page. But this board serves a very important purpose giving in depth explanations and heated discussions on important topics related to our 403b /457b plans and all the corruption going  on in the  in 403b universe. I wish we could reignite this board to what it use to be before it's too late.  It was never really on fire but now all we have   is smoldering ashes.We have some great minds here and they are going to waste.

Please if you are a lurker please start posting opinions and comments  and questions. We need to light the flame and get this board back to what it use to be. Don't tell me Facebook is the future when Bogleheads forum is constantly on fire with new posts.

Please encourage Facebook posters to post here as well. Damn it !! this board taught me a lot and I think it can still be a valuable tool. We can't let it die. Please contribute. Let's make May the 403bwise discussion board month  by posting as much as we possibly can (on topic of course).

Don't mean to sound so  melodramatic  but don't want this board to die.

Tony

I actually like the forum better than the Facebook page to be honest. I feel like it is easier to delve deeper, see and read responses, and learn more efficiently. The forum has helped me allot through the years and I am no where close to being done needing the great minds that exist and are so helpful here. It is true I have not been on for awhile because of current life demands, but will try to make it a point from now on. Thanks. 

I prefer the format of forums, but there's not a lot I can do if all the cool kids are giving away their personal information on Facebook and supplying Zuckerberg with ad revenue.

Lately much of the investing conversation has been overshadowed by speculation and FOMO. Crypto currency, shorting Gamestop, r/WallStreetBets... it's all too much for a passive Boglehead to comment on. Stay the course and pay attention to the business of living.

I’ve been spending time helping folks on the FB 403bwise group. Those asking for information and help are the same as those that come here to the forum. The main difference is the numbers. There are usually 5 to 10 threads going all the time, each with a number of posters. Lots of participants and no doubt many lurkers. A lot of district vendor lists get examined and transfers started and annuities exchanged to index funds! Many topics of interest to teachers are vigorously discussed and are wide ranging.

Except for the 403b FB group, I don’t do FB. I think the FB algorithm is a disaster for the world. However Dan and Scott’s group has probably helped more teachers in the last month than the forum has in the last few years. It’s success is undeniable!  

I would hate see the forum go away! It has some advantages over the FB Group. Hopefully both can survive. 

I don't mean  to be harsh but I think the administrators of this board don't much care about it anymore. You never hear from them anymore much. Even some other posters  here keep beating the facebook drum. I don't have a problem with promoting Facebook if it's attracting more teachers. After all the ultimate goal should be to expose the harm insurance companies are doing to teacher savings .  Still there should be some linkage to this board . Does this board ever get promoted on the facebook group ?  One thing I have noticed over the years is younger folks whom  I call the" texting generation " have very short attention spans and the facebook format suits their short attention spans. People like me that write too much and can't cut their comments short are not their style. My son is an example. He wants quick answers often without the  in depth details.

I know a good number of people do  still come to this board  if you look at some of the views our posts get. Perhaps we are too intimidating here and folks don't feel like commenting. I mean seriously who knows more than Krow or Ed or Steve or Whyme and others?  Nobody can track down answers to questions with such specifics as Krow can. Perhaps some of us out of the school mainstream just aren't important anymore as younger folks would rather hear from their comtemporaries.

Oh well life goes on

Tony

On 4/27/2021 at 7:08 AM, tony said:

I don't mean  to be harsh but I think the administrators of this board don't much care about it anymore.

Exactly, Tony.  I think the admin decided to euthanize this board by making it difficult to find: if there were a big link to "discussion board" or "discussion forum" on the home page of 403bwise (I believe that there was such a link, once upon a time), I'm sure more people would come here.  Now, one has to bypass the big link about the Facebook group, instead click on the vague term "community," then click through another two or three pages to get to this discussion board. So it barely has a pulse and seems not long for the world.  Of course the admin gets to do what he wants, if the Facebook option seems more user friendly to 403b info seekers and/or simplifies the administrative burden, so be it.  I'm with you in preferring not to participate on Facebook--the Bogleheads forum remains a great resource for those who prefer this format. 

Have you pointed out your forum marketing and engagement feedback/suggestions to Dan? He doesn't seem like a malicious fellow with a hidden agenda to burn down the message board... @Admin

Hi, Scott.  Dan seems to be a fine fellow indeed and I think he's performed a very valuable service by maintaining this site (not to mention a book, podcasts, etc.).  I assume that Dan made a conscious decision to focus on Facebook as the group's discussion platform and as I said above, so be it; it's his decision to make.

I've chimed in here as a reply to Tony's comments, not expecting to initiate changes to the web site.  So I haven't approached Dan, though please feel free to alert him to this discussion thread if you think he would find the subject of interest.