sschullo

YTD Portfolio Return September 30, 2021

Hi all,
That time of the year to post your AA and portfolio return. Despite the selloff in the last couple of weeks, I still have a 4.3% gain for the year. That may not be a huge return to brag at parties, but as a retiree, with mostly bonds and cash, I am a happy camper, and I will brag if we can attend parties soon safely.
Doesn't my portfolio look beautiful? It is a story of my 25 years of investing experience. It does what it is designed to do, keep costs extremely low
costs, 6.5 basis points, and get reasonable returns from my balance between bonds, cash, and stocks.
Happy returns,
Steve

Q3 2021 Returns.png

Q3 2021 Costs.png

Q3 2021 AA.png

Hey Steve, nice work! On your total annual cost, 6.4 Basis Points is 6.4/100 or 0.064%. Did you calculate what it would be if you left out the 2 with no ER? Still very low I bet.

14 hours ago, ScottO said:

PBS recently reposted the Retirement Gamble on 9/21: https://youtu.be/lkOQNPIsO-Q

Looks like Martin Smith is still working for Rain Media making Frontline documentaries: http://www.rainmedia.net/ . I wonder if he'd consider revisiting the topic or crafting an update.

Thanks Scott, I did not of the reposting. Ill see if Martin might be interested if I can connect with him on my twitter feed. 

Steve 

21 hours ago, krow36 said:

Hey Steve, nice work! On your total annual cost, 6.4 Basis Points is 6.4/100 or 0.064%. Did you calculate what it would be if you left out the 2 with no ER? Still very low I bet.

Thanks for the fix. I been told that many times but my math phobia seeps in. 6.4/100 is my cost.  For calculating the dollar amount would be .00064? or .0064? 

as I indicated in the footnotes, not sure how the Treasury collects fees or even if they have any. Tiaa fees are the spread as I understand it. 

7 hours ago, sschullo said:

Thanks for the fix. I been told that many times but my math phobia seeps in. 6.4/100 is my cost.  For calculating the dollar amount would be .00064? or .0064? 

To change a percent to a decimal so you can multiply or divide, move the decimal point over 2 places to the left. So 0.064% = 0.064/100 becomes 0.00064. 😊

17 minutes ago, krow36 said:

To change a percent to a decimal so you can multiply or divide, move the decimal point over 2 places to the left. So 0.064% = 0.064/100 becomes 0.00064. 😊

Next quarter at the end of the year, we will have this same conversation. LOLs!

On 10/5/2021 at 8:30 AM, sschullo said:

Thanks Scott, I did not of the reposting. Ill see if Martin might be interested if I can connect with him on my twitter feed. 

Steve 

You young kids and your tweets... I re-watched the episode over the weekend and it's all still very valid. Maintaining an understanding of the impact of fees and that "advisors" aren't working in your best interest are good concepts to revisit periodically.

Some posters on teachandretirerich and Friends of Vanguard FB groups shared their 12 month return instead of YTD. Not sure why.

My 12 month returned 10.4%.

The equity allocation creeped up to 40%/60% is one reason my return was double digit. I sold my home last July and I inserted the cash in VG MM, and its going to sit there until I decide to DCA into my current AA.  

Now my stock bond split is back to about 31%/69%. 

15 year average annual returns through 2020.png