Sign in to follow this  
columbuskid

Vanguard Funds

If anyone could weigh in...

I think I'd like two of these, to keep the ROTH simple at first and to keep fees down until the funds increase above the 5000$ (?). Which should I choose, in your opinion?

1. Vanguard 500 Index (VFINX) or Total Market Index (VTSMX)?

2. STAR fund (VGSTX) or Wellington (VWELX) or Windsor II (VWNFX)?

Each has nice qualities to it; just wanted to know if any really stand out.

Thanks for any help you could give me!

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I think that you will obtain the best advise at diehards.org where you have posted this question............good luck..............Ira

Hi,

Oh well, it did work in preview, and I checked it again after I posted it. It was a link to the Vanguard Target Retirement 2045 Fund. I think that this fund would work for Jeff until he becomes more knowledgeable about investing. Heck, it would be a good fund period. Best Wishes.

Joe

Guest Sierra
Hi,

Oh well, it did work in preview, and I checked it again after I posted it. It was a link to the Vanguard Target Retirement 2045 Fund. I think that this fund would work for Jeff until he becomes more knowledgeable about investing. Heck, it would be a good fund period. Best Wishes.

Joe

These time based target funds is just what the doctor ordered! How can a 403(b) sales agent compete with this product when they charge about 200 bp for doing the same damn thing.

Peace and hope,

Joel

I like total market better than the 500 because the 500 index is skewed toward large cap...my the large market size of the biggest companies...And Windsor II is nice...I am still addicted to a modicum of excitement in my investing...there is a middle ground that can be included in one's personal allocation plan. E.G., credit cards for emergency cash, 20% bonds, 15% international, and 65% stocks (total stock index). This example is close to what I do, happily..with the managed part (not "indexed") consisting of Vanguard Capital Opportunties, V. Emerging Markets, V. Primecap Core, Dodge and Cox Stock, and Dodge and Cox International..My indexes are small cap, lifestrategies growth, total stock mkt.: Loomis Sales Bonds (managed), D&C Balanced, and Inflation Protected Securities "flesh it out"...All charge less than 1%, Loomis is the highest costing....The couch potato allocation of 50/50 total stock market/total bond market is too tame for me. Does anybody do the couch potato and still stay interested enough to post?