Sign in to follow this  
gadfly

Lifecycle As Only Option?

In defining the terms I consider a LifeCYCLE fund as one of those with a target date (also known as target funds), such as 2020.

I consider LifeSTYLE funds as those that emphasize different risk profiles such as MODERATE, AGGRESSIVE or CONSERVATIVE.

My questions is this:

If one picks a Life CYCLE fund, in which the manager of that fund, through fund of funds or any other method maintains a moving risk tolerance profile that generally goes from aggressive to conservative, with "year to retirement" being the variable, shouldn't one put all of their dollars into that fund and in general, say in a 403b, NOT try to micromanage by choosing other funds in addition tothe LifeCycle (Target) fund?

Thanks!

The life cycle fund may be adequate, however there are other funds which will offer additional diversification for your portfolio, and reduce your overall risk. Some other possible funds are Precious metals, reits, small cap international funds..........................If you haven't try www.diehards.org for high level discussions and recommended readings and internet sites for additional education................Ira